Open All  |  Close All
F.A.Q. Section
Please click on the links below to view the FAQ answers.


Public Housing Applications

When are applications accepted?
Applications may be picked up at any time, however they can only be returned between the 9th and 30th of each month betewen the hours of 9:30am-11:30am and 1:00pm-3:30pm.

Can an application be mailed to me?
Applications can only be mailed to you if you live more than 50 miles from our office.

Can I apply for a specific site or bedroom size?
All applicants are placed on a Housing Authority wide waiting list. Bedroom sizes are determined by family size.

What should I do if I have a question about my application?
Please do not contact us regarding your application status. You will be notified in writing of any change in your status or if we need additional information. Make sure you notify us in writing of any change in your address.


Public Housing Residents

How much will I pay for rent?
Rent is based on several factors including household income, deductions, utility expenses. Prior to moving in to a unit you will be informed as to an estimated amount of rent you will be paying.

When is rent due?
Rent is due on the 1st of the month. It is late on the 6th of each month at 4:00 pm. If your rent is late you will be charged a $40.00 late fee. If you mail your payment in, it must be received in the office by the 6th or your check will be returned to you and you will be charged a late fee.

What forms of payment does the housing authority accept?
We accept cash, check, or money orders for rent payments. Your payment can be made during normal business hours. We do not have a drop box for overnight payments.

How do I get a mailbox key?
Mailbox keys are issued by the post office. You will need a copy of your lease and $25 to get a key.


Section 8

How do I apply for Section 8?
The Auburn Housing Authority is not currently accepting applications for Section 8. When we open the application process, we will advertise in the local media as to how to make application.

Where can I live?
With the Section 8 program, you are free to choose where you live. Any property can be part of the program as long as the landlord is willing to participate, the rent is affordable for your family, and it passes a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection.

What do I do if I want to move?
Before you are eligible to move you must live in your current unit for 12 months. If you decide you want to move you must contact the Section 8 Property Manager and you landlord and notify them of your intent to move. You must not owe your current landlord any money for rent or damages when you move.



How can I place a work order?
Work orders are taken by phone or walk-in only. To place a maintenance work order, call 334-821-2262 (Menu Option 5). You must leave your name, phone number, property name and apartment number, and the nature of your request.

Will I be charged for a maintenance request?
You will not be charged for routine maintenance requests that are a result of normal wear and tear. However, any maintenance that is needed as a result of damage or neglect on part of the tenant will result in a charge.

How long will it be before a maintenance request is completed?
Routine maintenance requests are normally completed the next day. Emergency and urgent requests are handled as quickly as possible. Emergency maintenance requests are those issues that are a threat to life and property. Some examples are major water leaks or electrical hazards.